Sunday, November 11, 2012

UK Inspiration Challenge


I began the UK Inspiration by trying to learn a little about each location in the challenge (Dorset, Edinburgh, Bath, Isle of Wight, Liverpool, Southampton). Some I am only familiar with from the works of Jane Austen and other writers.  A few I knew because of my love of traditional Celtic music.  Some I've poured over travel brochures, hoping to get there one day!


(For instance,  I long to see Bath, Somerset, England!)

In trying to learn more about the Isle of Wight, I was immediately inspired by these four photographs of the countryside and the water surrounding it.





Above photos of the Isle of Wight from Wikipedia

I fell in love with the colors!   The shades of green grass on wonderful sloping hillsides, the light tan sand, the variations of blue ocean water, the white stones and red tile roof of the church!   

I was so inspired, I immediately wanted to create something for the Isle of Wight category, and there could be no waiting!  I looked around me for items I could incorporate immediately!   And these must be colors I love because several of the beads were already out on my worktable!    


  • I found the color of stone and red tile in the pottery beads of Natalie Pappas.  (Followers of this blog know how much I love Natalie's beads!)

  • I found the sand and ocean colors in a brass pendant I had created about a week before.   

  • I found sparkly sage green Czech glass crystals, picasso rondelles, and seed beads that reminded me of both the grass on the hillside and the water below it.  



So I've combined them all and come up with this:



And now I must add Isle of Wight to my list of "really hope to see one day" place list!  :-)

I would like to thank Teresa Hulley of BoHulley Beads, a fabulous maker of ceramic beads, for living in the land of the Isle of Wight!  The locations for this challenge were selected based on the homes of the "Artisan Whimsy" UK Team members.   

Please see the hosts and participants of the challenge below and join in the blog hop!

The HostsLesley Watt Gossiping Goddess
Rebecca Anderson Songbeads
Pippa Chandler Pip's Jewellery
Teresa Hulley Bo Hulley Beads
Natalie McKenna Grubbi
Jo Tinley Daisychain Designs
Dorset
Ginger Bishop Lilmummylikes
Cece Cormier The Beading Yogini
Therese Frank Therese’s Treasures
Cilla Watkins Tell Your Girlfriends
Sherry Baun
Edinburgh
Therese Frank Therese’s Treasures
Kashmira Patel Sadafulee
Caroline Dewison Blueberribeads
Sherry Baun
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Lucy Haslam
Bath
Sherry Baun
Isle of Wight
Duane Clark Bizzy Bead
Sharyl McMillian-Nelson Sharyl's Jewelry
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Jean Wright Just Beadey
D Lynne Bowland Islandgirl’s Insights
Sherry Baun
Liverpool
Shalini Austin   Jewellery by Shalini
Doris Stumpf Glaszwerg
Sherry Baun
Lennis C Windbent
Southampton
Sherri Stokey Knot Just Macramé
Sherry Baun
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Kathy Lindemer Bay Moon Design



Sharyl

********************************************************



22 comments:

aneri_masi said...

You know...I was thinking "those are Sharyl colors" when I saw the pics, and read further and got my confirmation :)

Of all the different elements in the necklace, I like your brass pendant the best. I am still hoarding all the elements I got from you...waiting for the perfect design! Hopefully soon!

Sharyl said...

Thank you very kindly, Kashmira! Being a "bead hoarder" myself, I'm quite flattered!

AntiquityTravelers said...

Oh this is lovely! it looks like seafoam and sand with treasures washed up on shore! That focal is stunning! LOVE it! You really captured the feel of the coast

Islandgirl said...

I did the Isle of Wight too, Mainly because it was an Island. Love the colours in your piece! Mine should go live noonish today!

Jean said...

Wow, I love the colour combo and how you have used the aqua beads to represent the sea. I know the Isle of Wight well having spent many happy holidays there and I think you've got it just right.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sharyl - that is a fabulous necklace, and it really does match the colors in the photos so well! We picked the same thing - the Isle of Wight! Great minds think alike! :-)

Jean A. Wells said...

What a beautiful, beautiful necklace, Sharyl. Your inspiration for the Isle of Wight really comes through loud and clear in your necklace. Great job!

Unknown said...

I think you perfectly captured the feeling of the Isle. I adore the pendant, with the sweeping lines, and the soft, aged look of the beads, and then the sparkle from the czech beads rounded it out splendidly. Awesome work dear!

baymoondesign said...

A very pretty creation which does the Isle of Wight justice.

Laren Dee Barton said...

Absolutely beautiful, Sharyl! There is a care-free attitude in this, too, that I love. A softness, yet purpose. I am immediately drawn to the colors you used, and love the smaller beads in green above the focal area. Proud of you, girl!! :D

Sharyl said...

Thank you all for your lovely, supportive, generous comments! I love this group! :-)

A Hovel to Home said...

Oh it's absolutely beautiful. I love Natalie's beads too.

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Sharyl,
Wow your necklace is beautiful and is right on with the inspiration photos. I love the colors and your pendant is gorgeous!
Therese

Natalie -- NKP Designs said...

Hi! Again I am wowed with how you integrated my beads in to your necklace! Thank you for making my beads look so beautiful!!! :) So. Much. FUN!

Shalini Austin Metalsmith said...

Wow! Very pretty!
Those colours are just what I needed to see cheer me up on what's been a dull grey wet day in Stamford today.

Jo said...

I do love your necklace! The tiny beads remind me of the seafoam on the beach and the colours are just perfect. Thank you for taking part in our challenge!

Lesley said...

Lovely interpretation Sharyl - a perfect IOW palette. Thanks for joing in the challenge.

Anonymous said...

These aren't colors I would think about putting together and now I can't think of a reason why. Very inspiring.

Krista said...

Anytime you want to take a trip to the UK, I'm with you! Love the necklace, Sharyl, as always.

Sharyl said...

Oh, Krista, wouldn't that be fun! I keep trying to get the family to go, but I think I want it more than anyone else! We must think on this! We can hit Ireland too, of course! :-)

Thank you, Natalie, for the wonderful beads and your kind words!

Thank you all for stopping by to have a look. I'm so pleased, you are pleased! --Sharyl

Caroline said...

That's gorgeous! The colours are so peaceful and they reflect the island beautifully!

Unknown said...

You did a great job! you are right, you found the best pieces in right colors! Hugs, Doris