Friday, January 11, 2013

Mom Followup + "This and That" About Components


Thank you, my dear friends, who took the time to read my last post, "Remembering Mom's Birthday"  and the previous one I linked to, "Making Jewelry for Seniors with Special Needs."   The responses that came in warmed my heart.     Hopefully it's clear that my mom was very special to me and had an influence on my love of jewelry.    I was all about my bracelets and necklaces and rings by at least the age 2-3.   I have photos to prove it and stories abound!

I'll be posting another blog entry soon that will have another connection to my mom, so maybe now you will feel like you know a bit more about her when you read the coming entry.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In the meantime, I've been working the last day or two on adding more handmade and hand-altered components to Sharyl's Jewelry.

I keep throwing those terms around but I'm unsure if people know what I mean when use them.  So briefly, here is the difference.

1) When I create a component such as a bail, clasp, pendant, or earring dangles by hand, my own original design, then I refer to those as "hand-made."    

Examples would be these earring dangles:




or...









Large copper components for earrings or pendants


From time to time, I also have a few findings in this section:   earwires, eyepins, headpins, and beadcaps I've made by hand.

2) When I take a piece of metal, most commonly a raw brass stamping, and alter it with patina, I refer to that as "hand-altered."   I didn't make the piece from scratch, I purchased it from a supply store and changed it's appearance.

A few examples of these would be:  

Pale blue-aqua large brass leaf components and beadcaps


Plum Silver Flower Dangles and Beadcaps




And then there are these....      Every once in a while, I hit one and can't decide what category to put it in!    I've been putting these into the "handmade" section, but thinking recently they should go in "hand altered."   They are unique in that they contain a handmade component (typically pottery) by a bead artist (whose name I mention in the description and tags),  then I've added a metal or wire addition to turn it into to something new.  

Artisan made pottery and twisted copper wire toggle

 Pottery piece by Cindy Kovar of "Captured Moments."

 Brown swirl clay button handmade by "'Fey Designs"

So they are handmade, but not all parts were made by me.   See my dilemma?    What's your opinion on category placement?

And while I'm seeking advice,... I'd like to say that I've gotten 3 suggestions for colors for various altered components in the last few days--some here and some on Facebook!    I can't thank you enough for that type of feedback!    Please continue to let me know what you think or if you have special requests regarding components.    

I still love making jewelry, but I'm also enjoying learning more about metalwork and sharing my components with you and other jewelry designers.   So it's vital I hear what kinds of things you are seeking!  The more feedback, the better!

As always, I greatly appreciate your ongoing support!   

Hope you have a happy Friday!   See you back here Saturday, I hope!

~Sharyl


  • Graphics made from Colorbok punch-out kit then scanned. Visit www.Colorbok.com for more information.

  • Jewelry components and photos by Sharyl.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


5 comments:

aneri_masi said...

BRIGHT RED, BRIGHT BLUE pleeeeeeeeeeeeze

Carole M. said...

always interesting to see how you are working with your jewellery making and now the components and hand-mades and re-vamped pieces too...

Sharyl said...

I'll do my best with those colors, Kashmira! I can certainly do blue. I'm not sure I've seen a bright red patina, but I'll be on the lookout! If you like bright colors though, I have many others I could make! Thanks for the suggestions!

Sharyl said...

Thanks, Carole! Always changing, always fun!

Tanya said...

Bright colors might be fun for spring and summer. I think there is a red gilder's paste, but I have no idea how bright that is. I am an earthtones girl, myself. I love soft browns, greens, purples and pinks.

As for the your toggle. I see nothing wrong with listing it as hand made. You made the toggle part and are listing the artist you made the other part. Maybe you could add another section, altered artbeads. :)